WELCOME TO UTOPIA
Music is incredible. It can excite hundreds, and unite thousands. But as an industry, it has been slow, complicated, and disparate. While the tech world has moved into the future, the music industry continues to be shaped by inefficient systems of the past. At Utopia we believe there is a better way. Which is why today we are setting out to transform the entire industry; creating new revenue streams, consolidating the data and decluttering the admin. Unlocking the industry’s full potential by unifying it all in one truly holistic space. Some might call that a Utopia.
Funnily enough, so do we. Welcome to Utopia. Where music lives.
WHAT UTOPIANS DO
We are building a better world for music with innovative big data technology that tracks online music sources and translates them into meaningful music consumption reports for royalty collection. The solution we’re building does not threaten to usurp the role of industry incumbents - it is about bringing transparency in the industry and supporting efficient royalty collection.
WHAT YOUR ROLE WILL BE
You’ll be working on our AI-based music discovery product where we help big customers like Warner Music and its continuous development. With your teammates, lead developer, and engineering manager, you’ll be solving heavy database-related challenges and your work will help our customers manage their catalog of millions of tracks with AI-fuelled smart tagging and find the right music for their listeners. You will be part of the Utopia team where we all work towards achieving the #fairpayforeveryplay goal!
Our backend is primarily Java-focused with ReactJS/Next.js in the frontend. We use a combination of MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, and MySQL for storing our data.
THE IDEAL SKILLSET
- You are a passionate and skilled backend developer (knowing some frontend is a plus) that already has minimum 4 years of experience.
- Very good knowledge of Java and Spring Framework
- You have designed and developed microservices-based system and you know when it’s not a good idea to use microservices
- Good knowledge of at least one of our databases (ElasticSearch, MongoDB, MySQL, Redis)
- Good programming skills and good documentation skills
- Goal driven and product-oriented mindset
- Ability to work independently but always with the team progress/goals in mind
- Proficiency in English
Nice to have
- Having worked in a real-world company setting
- Experience with multiple databases (MySQL, ElasticSearch, Redis, HBase, MongoDB)
- Experience with big data (stacks such as Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce, Hive, HBase) and/or highly scalable retrieval systems
- Experience with Python Development
- Experience with AWS(SQS, RDS, S3) or GCP (CloudSQL, BigQuery, PubSub, CloudStorage)
- You are enthusiastic about Golang
THE HIRING PROCESS
We have 3 (currently all video) interviews and here's what you can expect:
- You send us your CV and a cover letter in English.
- We invite you for an introductory video call to get to know you better and share more about us.
- You get the technical test and unlimited time to send us your solution.
- Our lead developers evaluate it and we provide you with the feedback.
- You meet our lead developers for the technical interview.
- You meet the hiring manager for the culture fit interview.
- In case you decide to join us, you'll be meeting potential future team afterward and before the onboarding.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Great atmosphere - we live, love & breathe music & tech!
- Working in an impact-oriented team.
- An experienced team to learn from, with experience in multiple startups and big tech companies.
- Benefits depend on location.
- Flexible remote policy so if you may prefer being on your own and working from home - we’re fine with that too.
- We are supporting work permits for employees that have already moved to our locations from countries outside the EU. However, we do not support relocation at the moment.
We come from diverse backgrounds and we welcome everyone who identifies with the above to apply. Welcome to Utopia - Where Music Lives!
We’re eager to meet you! :)